jeff hogue night

++++




the Gathering

Low Like a Forest

Black,
like a forest
And still,
like a lion
My knees are bended
We used to speak
A different language

I wasted my breath
On words soon forgotten
Left unattended
They're moving their feet
--But nobody's dancing

Ah, take your time
Ah, take your time
How can I blame you
For all of the screaming
That I've had to turn to?
Just in time
To go off in my hands
These images were shot with a digital camera at night in the woods that follow along a river near my home. They have been manipulated using Fireworks--a Photoshop- like program. Going out into the darkness alone without anything but a camera feels a little risky. In the forest in the darkness, I have no protection. I am moving around in the night just as are all those animals for whom this world is home.One night using a flash and beaming out into the darkness of the forest, suddenly about 100 feet away I saw two or three sets of eyes reflecting back at me with bright yellow green spots in unison with my camera. I felt a little frightened--I was the watched--I was the hunted. I was on their turf...and they held all the cards. I shot several pictures in this same direction each time marveling at the glowing eyes reporting back to me.

The next day when I put the images on the computer I realized that these were the eyes of a small young stag and a group of does.

The imagination is full of darkness.
.